Sunday, September 8, 2013- Allegheny Valley Square and Round Dance Federation

 

President- Lou Stiles              Vice President- Tom Mohney
Treasurer- Ruth Stiles              Secretary-  Pat Loutzenhiser

The meeting was called to order by Lou Stiles at 2:06pm at the First United Methodist Church in Greenville, PA with 11 people in attendance.

  Pat Loutzenhiser read the minutes from the notes of the last meeting due to no typed copy.  Pat will send out the minutes .

  Ruth Stiles gave the treasurer's report and said the balance was $3,336.87 as of September 1, 2013.  The report was approved by Nels Frick and seconded by Dick McCall.  Ruth said she would send out information about the insurance.  Tom Mohney suggested that the callers check their policies.

  Tom Mohney representative of Callerlab mentioned the different awards received by Mike Jacobs, Jerry Holt, Carter Ackerman and Tom Strickland.  Tom said the new mission statement is”To foster the art of square dancing and improve caller skills”. Also, Tom Miller is Callerlab newest Callercoach.  The 41st Callerlab Convention will be held in Reno, NV on April 14-16, 2014.

  The 63 rd National Convention is in Little Rock, AR on June 25-28, 2014.  The National Convention in 2017 is in Cincinnati, OH.

  Nathan Parrot's round dance club is on hold due to Nathan's new job.

Club reports-

 Castle Paws and Taws-  Mary Ruth MCCall stated that the club has about 2-3 sets each Wednesday.  Last Wednesday was Fun Night with a reunion of about 30 past members attending.  There was a demo at Volant, PA earlier in the summer and there is another demo Saturday, September 14, 2013.  The Black Light Dance is Wednesday, September 25, 2013 with Tom Sttrictland.

Circle Eights-  Their lessons start tonight at 6:00pm, Sunday, September 8, 2013 with two Fun Nights and Gary brimigan.  They have 1-2 squares every two weeks.  Demos are held at the Ross Home with Don Yosten as the instructor.

Fiddle-a-Rounds-  Tom Mohney said that the club met in July with 12 people at a picnic.  The Christmas holiday get-together is in December.  Next summer, 2014 fiddle—a-Rpunds will celebrate their 50th anniversary.

Shenango Valley Sashayers-  Nels mentioned that they have an average of 3-4 squares each dance.  The summer picnic was held.  They are now dancing at the Methodist Church in Sharon, PA on Silver St. and North Irvine Ave.  It is a tile floor on ground level.  Dave Wolfhope will call Friday night, September 9, 20`13.  Lessons will start with 2 free fun nights with Drew Loutzenhiser as the instructor.

Old Business-

  John Simchick will continue the newsletter.  The roster for PA memberships is due in the fall.  Ruth Stiles will get a list of life members or independents legally for the vanity license plate.  Kenton Adams is the new webmaster.

  Tom Mohney stated that the PA convention will be held the 3rd week, August 15-17, 2014 at the Penn Stater, State College, PA.  Mac McCall is a known caller and Tom Mohney is the dance director.  Caller Bob Avery is the program chair.  Questions about featured positions and hiring callers was discussed.  Decisions about whether to focus on seminars, recruiting and maintaining dancers and if it would be better utilized along with developing leadership skills was in Tom's report.  Attendance was up with 460 dancers.

  Scott Brown's Google Group about the PA convention was gone over.  Camp sites at Camp Hill and State College were discussed.  The baskets were exceptioal this year. 

  The Keystone Award was given to Sue Korinski.  She met the criteria with 6 out of the 10 categories for her involvement for square dancing.

Break- 2:53pm

Resumed- 3:03pm

New business-

  Lou Stiles asked about the rental fee for the church for today.  Rich Loutzenhiser made a motion and Dick McCall seconded it.  A donation for $25.00 was given. 

  We discussed meeting locations that would be more efficient for all clubs.  Tom Mohney's house is half way for almost everyone.  Nels made the motion and Olivia Seichrist seconded.

  The next meeting will be at Tom's house on Sunday, March, 9, 2014 at 2:00pm.  Olivia Seichrist motioned to end the meeting and Dick McCall seconded.  The meeting ended t 3:31pm.

 

Respectfully submitted by

 

Patricia Loutzenhiser, Secretary